Feed reading feature requests
A bit of an unordered list of features I’d like to see in a feed reader. It’s very possible these exist in some readers that I’m not aware of (I’ve moved from desktop app on windows through bloglines and rojo to feedshow).
- Comment from within the reader. This would then automatically subscribe to a feed of the comments so that I could poll the updates.
- Notify me when feeds haven’t been accessible for a while. Maybe the address has changed or the reader cannot interpret the feed correctly; either way, I’d like to know so that I can make an informed decision about what to do.
- When a page offers multiple feed formats, I don’t want to be asked what format to subscribe to. The program should know the format it supports best and choose that. As I type this, I’m thinking that this is more difficult if there is a choice between full and summary content.
- If an existing article is ‘refreshed’ then diff it. If it hasn’t changed then I don’t want to see it. If it has changed, then highlight the changes for me.
- Show html in articles sensibly (rojo seemed to fail miserably on this front).
- Host a ‘live’ (i.e. dynamically generated copy of my feeds in opml) - I can’t think of any reason to have to import/export these.